[Grok-dev] Re: an 'about grok' document

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Mar 24 05:22:45 EDT 2007

Kevin Teague wrote:
>> Thanks! I would still suggest we take the first section of about_grok
>> and replicate it on the home page. I believe this is a better
>> introduction to Grok than what's currently in the first section of the
>> home page, as it doesn't go into Zope 3 right away (as we took pains
>> to avoid for the 'about grok' page :).
>
> I was just working on this suggestion after I noticed it in the original
> email, when I got this one. The Home page intro text has now been updated.
>
> I've put the Grok Campfire image on the About page, added a sidebar with
> a quote and the Zope 3 logo, and added a link to the Zope 3 wiki for the
> first mention of Zope 3.

Awesome.

Yes. You can also fax it to ZC or even send a scanned copy to jim at zope.org.

>  2.  Someone with SVN access backports my changes ...
>
>  3. I work on a dynamically generated Grok site, where the content is
> stored in the ZODB :)
>
> One other change I would like to make soon to the site that would put us
> out-of-sync with SVN would be break the existing URLs. Right now we have:
>
> http://grok.zope.org/
> http://grok.zope.org/about.html
> http://grok.zope.org/tutorial.html
>
> As we add more content to the site, those URLs are likely to be pain to
> work with. I suggest moving to:
>
> http://grok.zope.org/
> http://grok.zope.org/about/overview
> http://grok.zope.org/docs/starter-tutorial

I don't really care about that, but what I *would* love to see is that
we maintain the web site in SVN (e.g. under /grok/www next to
grok/trunk). That way we not only have a backup but it's also easier to
track and perform changes.

It would be great if you, Kevin, became a Zope contributor for this and
other contributions to Grok *wink* :)

>> Talking about images, I'm thinking about a way to illustrate the
>> tutorial. We would need a bunch of small Grok images in various poses
>> relevant to the tutorial. What those poses should be I'm still not
>> clear about. Guess we need to go through the tutorial and look at
>> places where a little Grok in some pose would make sense. Any ideas?
>
> I'd really like to see more *real* Grok artwork :)
>
> On the About page I was thinking about an image for "Grok is Agile"
> where Grok is leaping onto a wooly mammoth. Grok images for the tutorial
> would be great too. Some ideas:
>
>  "Setting up grokproject" - Grok building his club, maybe pounding
> spikes into it
>
>  "A View for a Model" - Grok looking at his reflection at his fishing hole
>
> "Storing data" - Grok storing mammoth meat in a cache

Hahaha, sounds great. I wish I could contribute here but I'm a poor
artist. By the way, there's also a "ME GROK SMASH" action shot (in which
Grok uses his big club to smash something) that hasn't been used yet. I
think Martijn has it.