[Grok-dev] Re: Auto-reload support

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 26 13:43:19 EDT 2007

Fernando Correa Neto wrote:
> I know it is too soon to discuss this since it is targeted to post 1.0
> versions of grok.
> BUT any chances to consider something like
> http://www.cherrypy.org/attachment/wiki/AutoReload/autoreload.py as a
> model for the auto-reload support?

Perhaps (see below).

> I was having a look at other modules such as
> http://codespeak.net/svn/z3/z3reload/trunk/ or the 'Rollback Importer'
> solutions presented here
> http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/notes/reloading.html . With z3reload we
> have a more z3onic way of doing things but still relying on reload
> functions that has some drawbacks while in the Rollback solution seems
> more clear and the right way to go.
> I'll do some experiments with it and check witch one is better....when
> I have my free time back.

z3reload is a minimalistic approach. I also find it suspiciously hacky.

I implemented reload in a branch once [1]. It worked apart from the fact
that the ZODB wouldn't pick up the new classes. But with Guido's xreload
[2] it might work. I haven't checked yet.

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/grok-dev/2007-January/000200.html

[2]
http://svn.python.org/view/*checkout*/python/branches/p3yk/Lib/xreload.py?content-type=text%2Fplain