[Grok-dev] Re: heading layout on website

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Fri Mar 30 19:28:08 EDT 2007

Hey All,

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 23:20 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey Kevin,
>
> Kevin Teague wrote:
> [snip]

I've snipped out the design ideas and essentially I add my +1 alongside
Martijn's. If Kevin has time to prototype design for breadcrumbs and
sidebar navigation I'd be happy to implement them into the template.

> >  * Splitting the Tutorial into multiple pages - it feels very
> > overwhelming and intimidating as one big page. The addition of the
> > sub-heads helps a lot already. The PDF idea is great! For a text of this
> > length I think a lot of people will prefer to print it  out
>
> I agree we should split it up (though I think "all in one page" is still
> interesting to offer as an alternative. it makes finding things in it
> more easy). I've introduced chapters into the tutorial so we can do
> this. It will require a bit of messing with the doctest Python APIs to
> do so, but I recall having done it in the past so it *is* possible.
> Volunteers?

Does the doctest api need to be messed with? I think tutorial.txt
can/should remain as one page but splitting up the html into chapters is
a good idea.

> I'm glad you're still planning on contributions and am I am looking
> forward to seeing some of this stuff implemented. I hope we (Darryl? :)
> can make some progress with the tutorial generation, where we have:
>
> * tutorial with each chapter on its own page. Perhaps even each section?
> This needs generator work and the introduction of new navigation
> elements. This should become the main entry point to the tutorial.

I'll set a goal to get this done during this coming week. It will
involve hacking grok2html.py to generate multiple html pages for the
tutorial and a subtemplate to impose navigation for each chapter (prev,
next and toc links, sidebar navigation to sections within the chapter).

There will be a link to 'all on one page'.

My inclination is put each section on a single page - small bites -
rather than a full chapter per page.

Doing so will also involve starting with breaking the site into
directories so that we don't have a multitude of html files in a single
root directory. Any ideas for site structure? I thought that intitially
it could be something like this - using what currently is in place:

~/about
~/documentation/tutorial

The section structure used by plone.org, or djangoproject.com or
rubyonrails.org (all similar) would suit grok.zope.org well.

Regards,
Darryl