[Grok-dev] Re: Grok component reuse in the Zope 3 world (was Re: Re: ANN: megrok.quarry)

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Sun May 6 14:39:55 EDT 2007

On May 6, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hey there,

Hey. :-)

I'll again try to be brief, since I've accomplished my goal, as
mentioned in my other email.

> Gary Poster wrote:
> [snip]
>> To be clear, the win of zcml, as I'm trying to present it, can be
>> done without zcml--I gave the example of a separate Python file
>> with a grok-like approach, for instance, as one of the possible
>> replacements--
>
> As I tried to point out elsewhere, this is not a Grok-like
> approach. I think I need to go into this idea some more, as your
> idea sounds so simple and straightforward to apply, but it really
> isn't.
>
> One important idea of Grok is that development agility is badly
> hurt by this separation. Instead of having to be in one place, you
> need to be in two places (implementation and configuration). That
> the second place is a separate Python file or a ZCML file doesn't
> really matter very much - I believe the fact that this second place
> exists in the first place that's hurting agility the most, not the
> particular spelling used.
>
> In most cases Grok actually deduces the need for registration from
> the base class used (for a view, adapter, etc), together with some
> class annotations (which are optional as they have defaults). Most
> of the time in Grok-based code, configuration information cannot be
> separated from the code that is being configured. Code and
> configuration are actually the same thing, and that's an essential
> characteristic of Grok's approach.

Yes, I know, and that's what I'm disagreeing with in large part, for
shared components.  But that's fine, we've been over this. ;-)

> (note that configuration does happen at a very different stage than
> code import or execution time - the code is introspected and
> registrations are made during this introspection phase. This
> actually happens during the same phase as ZCML registrations occur,
> as it's triggered from ZCML. I.e,. this is a good idea of ZCML we
> don't want to give up)

yay!

> [...]
> common, however: it's the exceptional case where you want to reuse
> a package and not reuse its configuration. ZCML's approach to
> enable such separate reuse, separation of configuration information
> from the code, I consider to have a high cost in agility. That is
> why I think we need to come up with alternative solutions, instead
> of separation to tackle the issue of overriding or skipping
> configuration.
>
> ZCML has some other important beneficial properties besides the
> potential it has for reuse of code without its configuration. As I
> already mentioned above, a concept Grok carries over is making
> configuration happen in a separate phase. Moreover, ZCML is a
> limited, explicit language. It makes the act of configuration very
> clear. This really forces developers to think about the act of
> configuration, and about what's configuration and what's not (and
> frequently disagree, but at least think about it). This has been
> extremely helpful.
>
> Doing configuration with Python code runs the risk a thousand
> inconsistent API will grow and configuration code will become an
> unpredictable mess. I think our approach with Grok has shown a way
> to avoid those risks. Grok, for the most part, isn't expressing
> ZCML configuration directives in the equivalent Python. It's about
> weaving the configuration information declaratively together with
> the actual code that it is about.
>
> Choices to separate or integrate happen frequently in programming
> language design. Docstrings or external API documentation? Separate
> header declarations versus deducing this from the class
> declaration? Doctests in docstrings or in separate files? For RMI,
> interface description languages or introspection?
>
> Related to this is explicit versus implicit - explicit static type
> or implicit dynamic types? Explicit interfaces or informal protocols?
>
> There is no simple answer about what the right way to go is in any
> of these cases. It depends on the circumstances. Generally the
> choice to make something more explicit and more separate has a cost
> in agility, with hopefully a gain in explicitness and
> reconfigurability. The choice to integrate something tends to mean
> a gain in agility and to reduce conceptual load on the developer.
> There are a lot of trade-offs.
>
> Grok is in the happy position of being able to explore integrated
> configuration information with an explicit configuration already in
> place to learn from. We also let go of some of the benefits of ZCML
> at the same time, hopefully to regain them, later, in a different way.
>
> It also means that the ZCML way of thinking about configuration
> doesn't really work for Grok - applying the idea of separating the
> code that is being configured from the configuration information
> sounds like a relatively straightforward simple approach from the
> perspective of someone used to ZCML. It would also, in my opinion,
> remake Grok into something completely different.

I see.  Thanks for the explanation.

It still doesn't negate the argument for separate packages when
appropriate, my first suggestion in the original email. :-D  This is
similar to one of the distinctions we made in Zope 3  between zope.*
and zope.app.*: "put your generic code, without much or any
configuration, in zope.*, and the configuration stuff in
zope.app.*".  While we have moved away from doing this strictly, I
believe the rule still has some merit, as long as it is not applied
with *too* much consistency ;-).

Gary