[Grok-dev] Re: What is Grok anyways... time for a name change? :)

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri May 11 20:04:42 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:

> Maybe this could be one of the pillars of the communication.
> Answering the question: How does Grok make the transition from useful
> hack to enterprise wide adoption easy?

Agree. I wouldn't say "useful hack", but more than there's scope to grow
and support for refactoring.

> True. So we have to communicate "Plays extremely well with Java
> and .NET"

But it doesn't, really, so no need for that. :)

> I think Grok will be pitched against TurboGears/Django/RoR/PHP5 and I
> think we can convince people of the benefits of the Grok route.

Agreed. Grok, or rather, Zope 3, feels more solid and serious to me than
the aforementioned, but of course I'm biased. :)

> True, but it's an emphasis thing. I think we could use the mascot a
> lot smarter. I am more into the idea of a Dilbert kind of caveman,
> that trumpets amusing situations in software development. And then we
> can say "this is how Grok tackles it...".
>
> I just feel there is a slightly too liberal use of caveman
> references... :)

Heh, possibly true. :)

I really like the "voice" of Grok, though, in the documentation. I think
the current text feels honest and light-hearted. I suspect that, really,
it's the voice of Martijn, and I don't want us to lose that.

> I'd say, use a cool caveman for viral marketing and a feeling of
> recognition (Dilbert strip style) and to make examples and sample
> applications more fun.

Having a good source of example names and concepts helps write
documentation and tutorials, and helps people remember those.

Martin