[Grok-dev] Re: Do these pictograms make sense?

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Thu May 17 13:37:39 EDT 2007

Single hierarchies are *never* satisfactory for all users. That is why
Ranganathan invented faceted classification about 70 years ago:
information always needs to be accessible in multiple ways.

Of course, access is one thing, storage is another. For storage we are
forced to choose one hierarchy. But the storage hiearchy does not need
to be the only  navigational hierarchy, or the main one.

In our case, in think storage should be organized in a way that makes
sense for people who are already users of Grok, and who are more
likely to contribute to the site. For those who are just discovering
Grok, there should be an obvious way to navigate using what you call
the life cycle approach.

I gather the "next suggestion" you just mentioned is a new structure
you are about to propose. If so, then I'll wait to make specific
comments on it.

Cheers,

Luciano