[Grok-dev] Re: Developer scenario

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 17 15:31:05 EDT 2007

David Niergarth wrote:
[snip]
>> * a better low-level relational database integration story. I think
>>  we're probably very close to this with z3c.sqlalchemy, it just
>> needs to be researched and documented. We don't even need any of
>> the advanced relational-object mapping stuff that we have been
>> talking about for scenarios like this.
>
> Although the need for ORM support seems obvious (every other
> framework has one, after all), for 'Zope 2000'-style development,
> psycopg is the current modus operandi (for PostgreSQL at least) and
> so switching to an ORM will not be a high priority. Indeed, in our
> case it's not even practical due to performance/scaling limitations
> we found with SqlAlchemy. SqlAlchemy support would be great
> eventually, but it's much less important from our point of view.

That's why I wasn't suggesting ORM: SqlAlchemy can do more than just
ORM. I've worked on a few projects where SqlAlchemy was just used to
construct queries and talk to databases, but what was returned was
fairly low-level stuff, lists and tuples and dictionaries and such.

Of course the scaling problems do make this impossible. I'm curious to
find out more about those, as I'm surprised there'd be scaling problems
at such a low level.