[Grok-dev] Re: Skinning/themeing

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 21 19:24:23 EDT 2007

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> Whatever any of this means, I just want to say that I *do* envisage new
>> developers picking up Grok and building an application from scratch.
>
> So do I. But developers new to web development? No, I don't envision
> them doing that. I envision newbies that doesn't want or can't make
> choices to use for example a CMS. They'll soon realize that if the
> learn to make products with Grok, they can do much more. And then they
> realize they don't have to use ZPT, and so on.

I want Grok to aim low and high at the same time. I think a framework
can be created that's good for beginners *and* experts alike. I think
Zope 3 is a great base for such a framework. My experience writing the
tutorial so far makes me hope we can aim towards beginners quite well.
Of course not being a beginner it's somewhat difficult to judge whether
beginners can follow it, but so far I feel we're on the right track.

It's true that a beginner in many cases is better off extending a larger
application? But always? Lots of beginners enter web development through
PHP, and what they're starting out with is adding just a little bit of
dynamic behavior to a static web page, and learn from there. I think
Grok shouldn't ignore that kind of use case.