[Grok-dev] Re: Organizing the further development effort

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri May 25 14:24:46 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> This suggestion might be absolutely nuts, but... how about setting up
>> a paypal account where one could donate to the documentation project.
>
> Not a bad idea. Note that Google is paying two students to spend serious
> time on Grok documentation. But we can't have enough docs...
>
>> Maybe it would also be possible to outsource the docs writing so as to
>> get a reasonable bang for the buck, say in India, Polen, Russia, or
>> the Baltic states.
>
> The problem is that we need somebody who's familiar with Grok, and we
> need decent English, which limits the set of people.

I want to emphasize this. We need people who can do the exposition well
who are familiar with the core ideas of Grok. This really limits the
amount of people. I also think that having core developers write
documentation is a good way to keep the code right. "If the
implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea."

>> This way maybe the core brains could keep focus on the core
>> development but we would still have momentum in the docs department.
>> If these guys keep an eye on the test code as well, they could double
>> as a lightweight QA-team.
>
> Well, I personally wouldn't mind being paid for some Grok work for a
> change ;). If I were paid I would actually be able to spend more time on
> Grok, like Martijn. And I can also be a cheap date when I'm having fun :).

I personally wouldn't mind if someone would pay me for Grok
documentation work. :) Right now that's hard to motivate in customer
projects. But I will do it for free. I just need to make the time.