[Grok-dev] Re: How do I install Grokstar?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 28 11:50:20 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> I have looked at Grokstar, and it shows lots of techniques I want to
> learn. Can I do some kind of automagic install?

I must warn you that Grokstar does not currently present any good UI at
all. It might also contain some brokenness due to some form handling
changes in Grok a while back.

> I didn't even manage to checkout the files from the SVN so I manually
> saved the files. But then I need to find the hurry.workflow package
> somewhere.

To check out the files from SVN:

svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Grokstar/trunk Grokstar

Then to install Grokstar, Grok and Zope 3:

$ python bootstrap.py
$ bin/buildout

This will get all the dependencies, including hurry.workflow, downloaded
from the cheeseshop. It also should download, compile and install Zope
3, install Grok, etc. It might take a while.

You can speed up the installation if you already have a Zope 3 software
installation on your system. See the buildout.cfg comment of the [zope3]
section. (also remove the other [zope3] entry).

What platform are you on? If you are on Windows, you will need to do the
[zope3] thing, as the installation of Zope 3 through buildout will fail.
(this is something that will be fixed somewhere in the Zope 3.4 era when
we get an eggified Zope 3).

Again though, Grokstar needs a cleanup and a user interface. :)