[Grok-dev] Suggested look for grok.zope.org

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Thu May 31 22:09:29 EDT 2007

I think the new "Grok Cave" look is heading in a good direction. At
least the /evaluate page with the body text is getting there - the
"Grok Cave" home page colours are too washed out.

More of my 2 cents from the sidelines:

  * I like the colour palette.

  * The new 'Grok guy' in the Grok Cave look is pretty good, but I
would still love to see the original Grok illustrations.

  * What is the typeface used for 'ME GROK smash zcml' on the /
evaluate page? I wonder if using that typeface would make a good Grok
logo?

  * Have you considered adding global navigation tabs in the header
area?

  * Zope and Python logos. These would be nice to incorporate into
the design. They might be a bit large on the 'original' site, but I
think having them is good. I almost think putting the Zope logo where
the campfire is would be a good location - except it would probably
wouldn't fit in with the stone-age them there.

  * Campfire illustration: It adds to the stone-age theme, but it
also seems to be overly prominent for just a design element. I would
say that if we want to add a global design element, it should be the
Grok character.

* Fixed width vs. variable width layout:

   Fixed width is good, since text is more readable when it breaks
around 12 words per line, but maybe specify min/max widths in em
dashes so that this layout works at alternate font sizes (i.e. min-
width: 60em; max-width: 80em;).

   Variable width is worth considering, since there will be pages on
this site that have code snippets, and code snippets can get quite
long. In a fixed width design you are then limited to truncating the
text or putting it in a scroll bars, neither of which is terribly
attractive (we kind of have this problem in a variable width site in
the original design right now, with when there are code snippets in
the sidebars and in the body content side-by-site). Currently the
longest code snippet in the tutorial is this:

Text to store: <input type="text" name="text" tal:attributes="value
python:context.text" value="" /><br />