[Grok-dev] Re: AW: Re: Grok 0.11 released!

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:42:43 EST 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> It can't because you guys broke a dozen packages when you split up some
> of the zope.app.* packages. I'm going to fix this now.

Can we stop pointing fingers, please? I just spent 3-4 man-weeks to get the
packages to a decent state, produce the KGS and write tools to make the
entire process a little saner. Certainly not a mess that I started.

> Also, I have a couple of beefs with the "locked down index" approach to
> the KGS. For instance, if we use the Zope 3.4.x KGS, how would we lock
> down the version of the grok egg? Or simplejson, z3c.flashmessage and
> all the other Grok-specific dependencies? Create our own locked down
> index? I don't think so.

For all packages living at svn.zope.org, the KGS is open and people can submit
additions, as I offered in a recent zope-dev mail. (I wonder whether anyone
read it.)

As for other packages, you have two choices:

(1) Fix the versions in the [version] section of buildout.

(2) Derive a new KGS based on the Zope 3.4 one.

When Jim and I discussed the KGS and how to implement it initially, we had the
second solution in mind. In fact, we talked in particular about grok as an
example.

Implementing support for (2) should be pretty simple. You simply have to
enhance the zc.mirrorcheeseshopslashsimple code to accept multiple
controlled-pages.cfg files. This should take about 30 mins. If you want some
of the testing comforts that I have enjoyed, then you need to adjust
zope.release to handle multiple controlled-packages.cfg files as well. This
is an overall easy task and getting the index online is also pretty
straightforward. I use the following crontab configuration:

MAILTO=stephan.richter at gmail.com
* * * *
* /home/srichter/mirror-tool/bin/generate-controlled-pages /var/www/download.zope.org/zop
e3.4
* * * *
* /home/srichter/mirror-tool/bin/update-simple-mirror /var/www/download.zope.org/zope3.4

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter