[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Oct 4 10:15:09 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> Martijn blogged:
>
> "Work is being done to extend and improve the Grok admin UI, in
> particular to show information about which views are available for a
> content object. Also one of our conclusions of these discussions is that
> "admin UI" is not a very good name. It's really a UI dedicated to
> serving developers while they develop a Grok-based application. We
> haven't figured out a good new name for this yet."
>
> And in that context, how about calling it the Grok Dashboard?

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think we should not
require the admin UI to create application objects. The admin UI is
great, but mostly because of Uli's extensions.

I've shown Grok to many newcomers now (13 people just this week) and
most are completely confused by it. Brandon and Shane seemed to have
made similar experiences. I've come to the conclusion that Grok should
make the grok.Application subclass the root object of the ZODB, or at
least create them automatically.

This would "reduce" the admin UI to be a pure inspection and
documentation tool, which I think is what it is best at. It can simply
focus on that instead of trying to be too many things.