[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Oct 5 06:01:49 EDT 2007

TIm Terlegård wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Luciano Ramalho wrote:
>> On 10/4/07, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
>>> I suspect the majority of sites will run a single grok app per instance.
>>
>> I am not so sure about that, Wichert. In fact, I think one of the
>> advantages of the current way of doing things is encouraging the
>> development of sites as a collection of small apps, each with their
>> own lifecycles, a not as one huge monolithic app which has to be
>> upgraded all at once.
>
> I get confused by the definition "app" and grok.Application. What are they
> exactly? And is a "grok app" synonymous with grok.Application?
>
> To me an application is a fat client written with Qt, Cocoa or whatever. In
> the web and grok world I guess an app is the actual site (not the zope3
> term site)? Or is a site composed of a number of apps? I would guess
> grok.Application is the actual site root. It sounds like Luciano thinks
> something else. Could someone explain this a bit?

You bring up a good point.

grok.Application is a bit of a confusing itself, I think. Especially
when we allow WSGI, we'll have a "WSGI app" which is distinctly
something different from the "grok.Application". The "WSGI app" is more
like what you consider an application above: something that you run.