[Grok-dev] Re: an application installation script?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Oct 5 06:10:54 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> The way I see it, having to add the application through a web UI is
> contrary to the idea of filesystem based development.
>
> I would rather have the application configured by directions in
> setup.py, zope.conf or similar.

... or in deploy.ini, the Paste configuration file which configures the
WSGI app factory, which then in turn could configure which
grok.Application is installed.

> That way I can store it in SVN. I would
> also like to be able to provide these settings to "grokproject" when I
> create my Grok project instance (with the option of copying an existing
> data.fs file) in order to have my project ready to run straight off the
> bat. (maybe this could be done with eggs, I haven't quite figured out
> how to use them :) )

I'm not sure what you mean here... grokproject creates a sandbox with
*one* grok.Application in it... It seems natural to me that that would
be the root app by default...

> I would also like a new command "rundevzope" that I could use during
> development (with development settings turned on), whereas "runzope"
> (through "zopectl") is for deployment. Then rundevzope could run the
> application as root if nothing else is specified.

bin/paster serve deploy.ini
bin/paster serve debug.ini

This is what zopeproject gives you, at least. You can create as many
alternate configurations as you'd like, of course.