[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 8 12:21:23 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> What about a setup scenario where the application is installed by
> default, but you have to go through the UI in order to get to it?

I can live with that. We'll see in the next round of trainings how it's
perceived by people. /me needs guinea pigs :).

> It's still one extra click but less confusion about installation. It might
> actually help beginners to see the application as a name in the URI:
> http://localhost:8080/myapp as opposed to http://localhost:8080, as that
> makes clear that the app object is an object like all others.

That last sentence is very interesting. grok.Application things are just
yet another object in the hierarchy that are traversed over. They're not
really special, which is probably what's causing the confusion in the
first place: Why is the "application" a thing that's traversed over?

Perhaps we should consider giving grok.Application a better name that
explains what it really is. It could be as simple as calling it
grok.ApplicationRoot, indicating it's some sort of root *object* in the
object hierarchy.