[Grok-dev] Re: Release naming convention revisited...

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 15 06:27:47 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> But it is still confusing with regards to the maturity of the code.
> Haven't we overintellectualised this, rather than kept it simple and
> intuitive for the casual observer?

I don't think so. Version numbers must be predictable and interpretable
for both humans and machines. Version numbers a la x.y.z fulfil both
requirements. In addition to that, we've adopted the following policy:

x denotes a major release
y denotes a minor (feature) release
z denotes a bugfix release

Consistency is important.

>>> JW comment is rather amusing. People were quite hot on the idea of
>>> calling the last release 0.10 rather than (the more intuitive) 0.9.x.
>>> I suggest we skip the the confusion of 0.10, 0.11, 0.12... and go
>>> back to the 0.9.x convention. It will be a lot easier for outsiders
>>> and ourselves too... :)

No can do. We released 0.10 and 0.10.1 already. Unless you completely
want to destroy the meaning of version numbers, they must always
increase. Always.

>> The only "mistake" - if you can call it that - is that we were too
>> soon too close to 1.0 with the released versions.

Well, we originally wanted to release 1.0 much earlier. In fact, I wish
we had kept the focus on getting a 1.0 out. Then again, it's not too
late. Let's try and make a 0.11 real soon and focus on 1.0 after that.