[Grok-dev] Re: Grok and database generations

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Sep 4 12:40:56 EDT 2007

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> I have been looking at the zope.app.generations package. For those who
> don't know about it, generations keeps track on your objects. The
> generations schema manager allows you to execute an evolve method in
> order to update objects to a required level of functionality. To
> determine which objects to update ituses a counter.
>
> However, my most usual use case is that I have added some new default
> values to the __init__ method of a class and I want to update all the
> objects of that class to reflect this change. But I want to do this
> without having to write any extra code. I just want to sync my objects...
>
> Is there any simple and smart way I could do this?

Yup. It's called class attributes. When an instance doesn't have a
particular attribute, but a class does, the class attribute will be
used. When overwritten, it will be done so on the instance. For example::

   class Foo(object):

       # make sure old instances also get this attribute
       attr = default_value_for_old_instances

       def __init__(self, attr=some_default):
           self.attr = attr

So if you have an instance of 'Foo' that was created before __init__ set
the 'attr' attribute, it will now be possible to say 'foo_instance.attr'
and it will resolve to 'default_value_for_old_instances'.

> If not, would this not be an excellent feature to add to Grok?

For simple cases, I think defensive programming (e.g. gracefully
handling the absence of attributes) and tricks like I've shown above
work well enough that we don't need something special in Grok.

*If* we have to introduce something to Grok, then it'll likely have to
handle trickier things as well. But tricky things are hard to do
in-place. They usually require good understanding of the way the ZODB
works. I think 'dump and reload' is much easier when you have massive
and/or tricky refactorings going on. As Tres says, it's not a surprise
that pretty much all RDBMS do it this way.