[Grok-dev] Re: Possible sprint topics

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 11 09:55:30 EDT 2007

Hey,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll add my comments. I have some more
ideas which I'll do in a separate reply.

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> * Security; make the Grok security "policy" optional/configurable.
>   Partially related to this:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/885

Yes, this would be a good feature to have, also for the case where we
split up Grok into multiple pieces (which Philipp started recently).
Note that this would mean you'd need either a lot of ZCML to declare the
security for your classes, or we would also need to make the
@grok.require decorator work properly for model methods.

> * Integrating the work done on supporting skins & layers. See also:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/361
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/623
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/715

Right, I want to get this one finally over with. You'd *think* it would
be just merging someone's branch, but it just appears it keeps shifting
out from under us...

> * Continue the work on how to define permissions and roles. See also:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/2004
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/1958

Hopefully this is now almost finished.

> * Continue the work on making it easier to write (f)tests for
>   applications written *with* Grok. See also:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/1749
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/1752
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/1781

Uli is there and he started this work. This would be a good small task a
pair could tackle in one day.

> * Associating additional info to events (probably more of an Zope-3
>   issue initially). See also:
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3/+bug/98483
>   http://jw.n--tree.net/irclogs/%23grok/%23grok.2007-09-04.log.html

As you know I don't really consider this to be a high priority task, as
nothing Zope currently uses this information even if you supply it.

> * Reference documentation.

Very important! I hope we can get some reference documentation published
online, in part based on the admin UI.