[Grok-dev] Re: First Experience with Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Sep 16 08:51:38 EDT 2007

Hey,

David Pratt wrote:
[snip]
> In fact, Grok is not about cutting anything out of Zope 3 but more about
> exposing it to developers in lighter, friendlier way. The power of zope
> 3 is its flexibility and choice of what you can do to create applications.

It's true that Grok is more about presentation of developers than about
cutting away. But to present something to developers in a better way,
sometimes you do need to cut away things. And there's such a vast pool
of Zope 3 components out there that we *have* to make a selection of the
best bits. Grok pulls in zc.catalog by default for instance, so this is
part of Grok though not part of the official Zope 3.

Note that even though Zope 3 is now a whole bunch of eggs, some of the
egg dependencies are still rather crazy. Pulling in something like
zope.i18n if I recall correctly ends up pulling in things in zope.app,
for instance, and I believe using the page template engine pulls in the
ZODB as a side effect. This dependencies need to be sanitized.