[Grok-dev] Re: maintaining the Grok website

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Mon Sep 17 06:41:51 EDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:

> I would like for the website to remain editable through Subversion.
> Having to edit content through-the-web has all of the same drawbacks
> as having to write code through one's web browser.  Just like we now
> do filesystem-based development, rather than attempting to edit and
> maintain "Script" objects inside an application, so we also ought to
> preserve our ability to access and version-control our content through
> the same strong tools that manage our source code.

Supporting a good software development environment TTW is very hard.
Supporting content editing is easier. I prefer to write content using
Kupu in my browser instead of ReST in my text editor, for example. I
also prefer to read documentation in the browser. This a personal
preference though - while we can convert ReST to HTML to support both
plain-text and web versions of documentation, it's not possible to
convert HTML to readable plain-text or ReST  (or is it? given clean
HTML I guess you could do a decent representation?).

> Can a Plone site - or at least part of it - be back-ended through
> Subversion, or accessed through Subversion using DAV or something?

You wouldn't need to do anything as complex as changing the storage
code to mirror SVN content to Plone. A simple python program similar
to grok2html could send SVN-backed content to a Plone site using XML-
RPC.