[Grok-dev] Grok or raw Zope?

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Thu Sep 27 06:12:55 EDT 2007

On 9/27/07, Matias Surdi <matiassurdi at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I've no experience with Zope nor Grok.
> I would like to receive some advice about choosing Grok or Zope. I think
> Grok is more easy to start with, but... ¿will it in the future put any
> limit on a very big intranet application for an entire company?

Hello, Matias.

In this forum, I suspect everyone will tell you to choose Grok :-).

Now seriously, Grok can be seen as a path to Zope 3. It is Zope 3, but
with a friendlier, more agile API for the essentials. Grok does not
prevent you from using any functionality in Zope 3, but it makes some
decisions for you, in order to make your job easier as you get to know
Grok and Zope 3.

Even if in the end you don't use Grok for some reason, I believe that
the fastest and most enjoyable way to learn Zope 3 today is to start
playing with Grok, and then read Philipp von Weitershausen's book.
You'll see that practically everything you read in the book either
applies directly to Grok development (because it describes Zope 3
packages and tools that you can use with Grok), or is made redundant
with the use of Grok (but helps you understand what Grok does under
the hood).

Good luck,

Luciano