[Grok-dev] On CMS's in Grok

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Tue Apr 1 18:44:49 EDT 2008

1 apr 2008 kl. 23.27 skrev Martin Aspeli:
> Don't build a Grok CMS.
>
> Or the corollary:
>
> Don't try to compete with Plone.

;)

Competition drives innovation, provided that the competing entities
try to differentiate themselves.

So rather, I think one should say DO build a Grok CMS, but make sure
it is different in a tangible way.

The "me too" mentality seems to plague PHP, and I agree that it feels
like a waste of effort, but then again it can have it's merits (just
like a diversified gene pool).

> I think this is where Grok's niche may have the strongest potential.
> Don't set about building another general purpose CMS. The open
> source world has a million of them. Build the tools and services
> that people who want to build their own CMS applications need -
> perhaps because they are so overwhelmed by the number of options in
> the market and want to control their own destiny rather than having
> to take a bet on an existing platform.

This is a VERY interesting concept that I am absolutely in favour of!

For example, when I wrote my Grok CMS (which is really bare bones and
workflow centric), I used hurry.query and hurry.workflow, which really
took me a long way. With a hurry.users and hurry.edithistory I would
have had almost all of the tricky, generic, parts covered. All I would
have had to do is connect the dots to suit my purpose. And yes, being
the captain of my ship is a life saver for me.

Mvh Sebastian