[Grok-dev] Re: On CMS's in Grok

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Apr 2 03:47:37 EDT 2008

Fernando Correa Neto wrote:

> But I understand the appeal. I'd get disappointed with people if I saw
> they moving away from my favorite platform. It's quite natural.

I think you completely missed my point. I made a controversial statement
to foster some debate and thinking (which I think I've succeeded in). I
don't want to stop anyone from doing anything. Competition is good.

I'm not so petty that I can't encourage people to use something other
than Plone. I consider Grok to be "my" platform almost as much as I do
Plone (and Zope and Python). We talk a lot about convergence across the
Zope CMSisih platforms. I think there's a lot of scope for this story to
advance further.

To be more explicit:

  - does Grok want to become a project maintaining a CMS?
  - if not, does it want to spin off such a project?
  - if so, why should the world care, when there are so many CMSs?
  - in other words, what does Grok offer that TurboGears or Rails doesn't?

I also want to invoke the 80/20 rule. You can get something a bit like
Plone (or indeed any CMS) in 20 days of development. You'll then spend
80 months on the things your customers take for granted (and all the
refactoring and testing that goes along with it). You need a pretty
stable community of dedicated contributors to muster that kind of stamina.

If it were my choice (and it isn't, I'm merely asking the question), I'd
put that dedication and energy into what Grok is already doing: creating
tools that are in many ways so far advanced beyond what any other Python
framework can offer (because of Zope 3), and so much more accessible
than what any other Zope framework can deliver.

Martin