[Grok-dev] Re: final sprint report - please review my branch!

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Apr 9 09:52:55 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> [snip]
>> It is as long as you're fine with actually creating new classes. If
>> you'd want to make existing classes implicit contexts, you're out of
>> luck.
>
> I'm not sure whether this use case is very common, but it might be one.
> It'd be interesting to come up with some real world scenarios where this
> requirement comes up.

Well, I imagine that the Plone folks have their own ideas, but I
personally wouldn't want to invent yet another base class for Plone
content and just work off the existing Archetypes or CMF ones. That way
the new grok-based stuff works with *existing* classes, which is pretty
important IMHO.

>> I like the IGrokContext idea. It's just as simple as subclassing
>> 'Context' (which we can still leave around). Sounds like a win-win
>> solution.
>
> True, I hadn't thought of the use case you mentioned, but using an
> interface would fix this.
>
> Anyway, I'm still don't think we should be in a rush to get this fixed,
> but grokking based on interface should be a feature for the longer term
> todo list in Martian, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement as far
> as I can determine.

It's really just a two-line change, one in the Context base class (to
say that it implements IGrokContext) and one in the grokker so that it
doesn't do isinstance() but IGrokContext.implementedBy().