[Grok-dev] google app engine and grok

Kevin Smith kevin at mcweekly.com
Tue Apr 29 11:29:15 EDT 2008

Hi Noah,

Yup, I'm going to both the Google I/O plus the Hack-A-Thon in San Francisco.

There's a little talk in the Zope community about getting Zope3 GAE
enabled, but a few obvious hurdles jump out.

* no filesystem write access (no zodb)
* no c-extensions (no persistence/no zodb/perhaps more)
* 1,000 file limit

Stripping down Zope3 to the metal *may* be doable, but I don't detect a
strong will in the community to make it happen. It may be a lost
opportunity that we just don't have the resources to capitalize on,
because it could be a great thing for Grok. The Grok-way is so much
easier than these other frameworks.

Kevin Smith