[Grok-dev] Problems serving iepngfix.htc for transparent PNG in IE6

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Dec 2 05:51:02 EST 2008

We recently came up with a very simple bit of javascript that works
wonders:

    var ie55 = (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4 && navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 5.5") != -1);
    var ie6 = (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4 && navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.0") != -1);

    if (jQuery.browser.msie && (ie55 || ie6)) {
        root.find("img[@src$=.png]").each(function() {
            $(this).css({
                    height: "0px",
                    width: $(this).width()+"px",
                    "padding-top" : $(this) .height()+"px",
                    overflow : "hidden",
                    filter : "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='" + $(this).attr("src") + "', sizingMethod='scale')"
                    });
        });
    }

for some reason most people seem to want to wrap images in spans or mess
around with dummy images like the komodomedia.com snippet does.

Wichert.