[Grok-dev] UPDATE recently created projects to 0.14.1

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Sun Dec 21 16:33:28 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 16.12.2008 at 14:57:32 +0100, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Sebastian Ware wrote:
> >    the.url.com:port Grok 0.14 *** Security alert ***
> >    other.url.com:port Grok 0.14.1 Ok
> >    another.url.com:port Grok 0.12.1 *** Security alert ***

> I think both are useful. I don't think user interfaces that give you
> notifications are a bad thing.

having a message in the admin UI is imho desirable, but having a way to
automate such checks is at least equally desirable. Imho, the pieces
are almost all there already:

There's a need to query an installation about their version number.

Like in

http://server.example.com/grok/admin-ui/tell-my-version-number

-> x.x.x

Next, you fetch http://grok.zope.org/x.x.x_security.txt (or whatever),
according to Brandon's suggestion.

-> Now you only need to consolidate these somehow, and maybe offer a
way to spill a user digestible and a machine readable message in one
go.

Done.

The "management application" will break down into three things: Some
kind of API or so to query an installation (could well be something
that requires authentication...), proper handling of server-side
messages, and something which could be as measly as a 10-line shell
script that iterates over a list of URLs, one per installation.

Then you can integrate such a thing into existing toolchains that may
be in place already.

Just my 0.02 cents...

Kind regards,
--Toni++