[Grok-dev] Dependencies

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Dec 22 20:22:31 EST 2008

Hi,

A long and somewhat side-tracked discussion on the Repoze lists can be
summarised thus: The BFG people (Chris mainly) ended up implementing a
repoze.zcml package that re-implements <adapter />, <utility /> and
maybe some other directives (<subscriber />, I guess?) sans support for
trusted components. This meant BFG could shed the following unused
dependencies:

  zope.location-3.4.0-py2.4.egg
  zope.publisher-3.5.4-py2.4.egg
  zope.security-3.5.2-py2.4-macosx-10.5-i386.egg
  zope.traversing-3.5.0a4-py2.4.egg
  zope.i18n-3.6.0-py2.4.egg
  pytz-2008i-py2.4.egg

Since there's been discussion about Grok's desire to reduce
dependencies, perhaps this is something that could be adopted lower in
the stack (e.g. making those dependencies optional or at least opt-out
in Zope 3), thus benefiting everyone?

Chris has promised to help out if anyone can constructively help push
this into Zope or find a better solution than BFG having to invent its
own versions of these directives. I'm just a messenger, but Plone is
also interested in a smaller dependency graph and so there may be ways
to work together there as well.

Anyone interested in pushing this forward?

Martin