[Grok-dev] Re: the projects in progress

Ethan Jucovy ejucovy at openplans.org
Thu Feb 21 12:04:45 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> plone.salt doesn't exist yet, though - Wichert has a prototype under a
> different name, and I think others have played with this too (Whit,
> maybe?). I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the "salt"
> functionality as a part of the z3c.autoinclude package, since they are
> reasonably similar and may benefit from sharing some code.

I've been meaning to reply to the message about Salt (love the name!) --
Whit Morriss and I have played with this; see
https://svn.openplans.org/svn/ZCMLLoader/trunk for our version.  It might be
a useful starting point.  In its current (not very polished) implementation
it does scan for standard ZCML files (configure, overrides, meta) in the
package's directory in much the same way as z3c.autoinclude, so it is more
or less what Martijn suggests:

[zcmlloader.plugin]
MyPlugin = my.plugin

though it's currently not generic at all (we wrote it for OpenPlans so
there's some hard-coded artifacts in there).

As an aside, I was thinking about extending it to allow multiple sets of
plugins, with core packages specifying the plugin entrypoint, as in
(glossing over the fact that this would be spelled out over four separate
setup.pys)

[zcmlloader.plugins]
openplans.plugin = opencore

[zcmlloader.plugins]
funplonesite.plugin = myfun.plonesite

[openplans.plugin]
BlogsInOpenPlans = opencore.wordpress

[funplonesite.plugin]
CalendarWidget = calendarwidget

etc.  I'm not sure if this is a big YAGNI though.  I think there's some
overlap here with your suggestion about different starting points for
different platforms, but I'm not sure how much.

egj