[Grok-dev] Re: the projects in progress

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 26 10:10:45 EST 2008

Ethan Jucovy wrote:
[snip]
> I've been thinking about this a bit, partly because I frankly feel like
> there's a bit too much magic if a package is included simply by virtue
> of being installed, and partly because in development environments
> (where I toggle plugins on and off frequently) having to disable an
> installed package and later reinstall it ends up being quite a lot more
> hassle than dealing with package-includes slug files.

I understood the entire goal of this exercise was to *have* this magic.
  If you don't do this, you need to trigger the ZCML includes
*somewhere*, and you can just as well do it in site.zcml instead of
coming up with a new system.

Installing a plugin is after all an explicit statement in your
buildout.cfg. (unless you just use easy_install. That is not the common
modern way to deploy Plone though)

I think it is important to keep other possibilities in mind, such as
register plugins so that someone with a UI can determine whether to load
it up, etc. I think we shouldn't have to worry *too* much about them yet
and just get the basics going:

* define an entry point where a plugin can register itself with the
package it wants to plugin with

* add a ZCML statement that a package can use to load all known plugins.

If later we want packages that *don't* automatically load all plugins,
this package won't be using the ZCML statement but will be doing
something else. Let's keep z3c.autoinclude focused on ZCML for the time
being though.