[Grok-dev] how to get XML-RPC tracebacks?

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Wed Jan 2 15:54:02 EST 2008

I'm finding Grok XML-RPC functions nearly impossible to debug, because
I can't see the tracebacks that are being generated.  Instead, my
exceptions are being caught and reduced to XML-RPC exception messages
like "Unexpected Zope exception: TypeError: 'set' object is
unindexable" which doesn't help me find where in hundreds of lines of
code I'm doing something wrong. :-)

I can, of course, start improving the XML-RPC user story by looking at
instrumenting the Grok XML-RPC code - with, for example, an optional
flag that would print the traceback to the server's standard output so
that I could see the full traceback in the window where I'm running
"zopectl fg".

But before doing anything like that, I wanted to check and see if
everyone else had already found an easier way to deal with this
problem and thus saved me the trouble. :-)