[Grok-dev] [website] Let's do content!

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Wed Jan 2 17:38:55 EST 2008

Luciano Ramalho-2 wrote:

> I've created an Reference section in the Learn [1] area.

More documentation on the web site is good :)

Note that we basically have three main documentation content-types:

How-To:
  Single page of documentation.

  Typically associated with goal-oriented tasks, although I've named this
"Mini Tutorial" for the time being in keeping with the old site.

Tutorial:
  Multi-section documentation.

  For lengthier, more in-depth subjects on a particular topic, but a reader
should still be able to digest an entire Tutorial in one sitting.

Reference Manual:
  Multi-chapter, multi-section documentation.

  For large works. I suspect that we may want to publish the main Grok
Tutorial here as a Reference Manual, since it is already organized into
Chapters/Sections. Which means we might want to rename the content-type on
the site to something like "Book"?

Luciano Ramalho-2 wrote:

> The next step would be to copy each ReST file from
> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/reference/*.rst to discrete
> HelpCenterReferenceManualPage instances in the proper manual.

For content that we continue to manage in SVN (reference API, main tutorial)
I'd like to eventually have some scripts to automate the synchronization
into Plone. However, please don't let that stop you from copying the docs in
there manually right now, as I don't want my procrastination on writing
these scripts to hold up the publishing of this information ...

Luciano Ramalho-2 wrote:

> This is were I am stuck because the Plone UI won't let me change the
> format to
> ReST (see the edit form with the disabled Text Format drop-down here
> [2] -- requires admin login).

Yeah - because of the way that I rewrite from Apache into a Folder at the
root of the Plone site called 'public_website' marked as INavigationRoot it
seems that the Dashboard link doesn't work. This is on my 'to-fix' list. In
the meantime, you can go to the Personalize form to disable Kupu so that you
can mark text as ReST if you punch in the URL directly:

http://plone.grok.quintagroup.com/personalize_form