[Grok-dev] Re: [grok-br] Grok 1.0 and beyond

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 4 18:48:25 EST 2008

Hey,

Dirceu Pereira Tiegs wrote:
[snip]
> Some really important stuff that IMHO should be better on Grok:
>
> - Easier authentication / user management;

+1

> - *Good* form generation: zope.formlib's is too primitive comparing to
> Django admin interface or Archetypes, for example;

Details? How are the Django admin interface or Archetypes better?

Form generation always has limitations, but where are the limitations
that make you think zope.formlib is not good?

> - Indexing / Searching: I think this should be easier, perhaps with a
> default Catalog with default indexes, something more like Plone's
> CatalogTool;

Granted that it isn't well documented yet, but what exactly makes
grok.Indexes too hard to use for defining indexes? I mean, to create
indexes in your site, you do;

class MyIndexes(grok.Indexes):
    grok.context(IMyInterface)
    grok.site(MyApplication)

    name = grok.index.Field()
    fulltext = grok.index.Fulltext()
    tags = grok.index.Set()

and then to search, the simplest approach is:

from zope.app.catalog.interfaces import ICatalog

catalog = component.getUtility(ICatalog)
myresults = catalog.searchResults(name=("Foo", "Foo"), fulltext="bar")

or use hurry.query for more advanced query capabilities.

I don't consider this hard. What is hard is updating your content when
you introduce new indexes. We should focus on making this easier.

Another feature that is lacking is a good way to define relations
between objects and searching those. I hope eventually zc.relation will
help us there.

> - Automated testing: I know this was already discussed, but I really
> don't like to write the same boilerplate code to run my tests on every
> grok application.

+1

> (And hey, please don't take it wrong. This is not a rant, these are
> simply suggestions).

Yup, we need details. Tell us more about what you would like to see
improved for forms and for indexes/cataloging.