[Grok-dev] Re: grok futures: the return of the ZMI

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jan 7 20:26:02 EST 2008

Hey,

Paul Everitt wrote:
[snip]
> Thus, a new ZMI wouldn't have to do TTW *development*.  We could leave
> out restricted Python.  We could even leave out ZPT.  In fact, we could
> freaking leave out the browser.  Instead, it would be about
> pointy-clicky model specification.

What you describe is a slightly different area then the one I'd like to
tackle with the ZPT step (though the model step is related). Allowing
ZPT overrides indeed opens up the danger of untrusted people going in
and breaking things. I hope that can be mitigated by allowing good
export facilities to the filesystem-style of development.

Also whatever it was worth, people *did* use the ZMI for TTW
development, and it was very popular for a while until the drawbacks
became clear. There's just about nothing that beats "Hello world" in the
Zope 2 ZMI in speed of development.

> Instead, produce a "model", as Martin says, that can be checked into SVN
> and address all the concerns about ZODB black box.  It then becomes
> "through-the-REST".
>
> I confess that I'm working on such an idea.  Since I have been full of
> shit on this story since before Martijn Pieters joined Digital
> Creations, I need to keep my mouth shut until I show anything.

I remember. We'll indeed wait to see it. :)