[Grok-dev] Re: grok futures: the return of the ZMI

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Tue Jan 8 05:50:59 EST 2008

8 jan 2008 kl. 10.30 skrev Lennart Regebro:

> I totallt agree with what Paul writes here. Although I thing that
> schema and workflow editing is not something that Grok should do, but
> rather something to be written *with* grok. :)

I agree with this. This is application specific. If you offer a way
in, people will go there, and they won't know how to get out. In the
end one stands the risk of users expecting Grok to be an "entire
application generation framework", which would fail miserably. Better
to direct those users to Filemaker Pro or similar.

> I do like the ideas CRUD/BREAD support and that would be very ZMI-like
> indeed. I think it's important to point out that in a Grok world, such
> a thing would not be a part of Grok, as the ZMI was a part of Zope,
> but that rather such a CRUD/BREAD application is in fact just another
> application.

I agree with this too. To me, this would be a development/admin tool,
rather than a end user application.

> So it doesn't need to be a part of Grok core. However, it's so useful
> that it could be argued that it *should* be. :)

Mvh Sebastian