[Grok-dev] Re: KSS lag?

daniel daniel.carraher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 06:24:33 EST 2008

Thanks,

Here are my results on FireFox 3 beta2 with firebug 1.1b10:

Console in debug:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9189/firefox3b2firebug11b10djd7.jpg

Notice the two errors in the console.

Loadtimes in devel:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6781/firefox3b2firebug11b10dgg2.jpg

Loadtimes in production:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8510/firefox3b2firebug11b10pcz0.jpg

Notice the big problem seems to be base2-dom-fp.js which takes over half a
second to load. How many of these files are required?
I'm not sure why it took 88ms to load a 4k static CSS file either. Or 65ms
for the 80byte file.
These numbers represent with everything cached they varied between 1.1 and
1.4 seconds for the page load.
Maybe I'm being too picky and 1.4 second load times are acceptable fully
cached and local? My second Grok app has no CSS or JS and loads in 18ms.

Then I tried to reload after clearing my browser's cache with ctr-shift-del
and i get 13 second load times!

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9441/firefox3b2firebug11b10dgm1.jpg

This was easily reproducible. kukit.js is the culprit every time and takes
12 seconds to get passed to the browser. Also obviously nothing is rendered
while this occurs and it did not matter if KSS was in devel or production.

On Jan 11, 2008 4:15 AM, Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se> wrote:

> Try this
>
>   http://www.getfirebug.com/
>
> Mvh Sebastian
>
> 11 jan 2008 kl. 03.07 skrev daniel:
>
> > Thanks Godefroid.
> > I've put it into dev mode and it 'seems' to have become better. I
> > have difficulty saying for sure what the change is because I'm not
> > well versed in how to more adequately measure Grok webapp execution
> > and client rendering time. Is there someone who could write a nice
> > documentation for this pretty please with sugar on top? :)
> >
> > On Jan 10, 2008 5:18 AM, Godefroid Chapelle < gotcha at bubblenet.be>
> > wrote:
> > daniel wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I followed the KSS tutorial and integrated KSS into my Grok
> > application.
> > > I haven't actually done anything with it other than the one line
> > text
> > > replacement that is in the tutorial, however I have started
> > experiencing
> > > 1-2 second view refresh lag times on my Grok app with KSS as
> > opposed to
> > > another Grok app without it. Is this typical?
> > >
> > > -- Daniel
> >
> > Hmm, I have the feeling this is a problem we have seen at the
> > beginning
> > with Plone as well.
> >
> > IIRC, this is a caching problem, kukit.js gets computed on each
> > request
> >  because cache headers are missing.
> >
> > Thanks for mentioning this, I'll look at it at the Snow Sprint
> > beginning
> > on Sat Jan 19.
> >
> > In the meanwhile, if you turn dev mode on with the @@kss-devel-mode/ui
> > form, the lagging should disappear.