[Grok-dev] Re: KSS lag?

daniel daniel.carraher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:48:38 EST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 5:08 PM, Godefroid Chapelle <gotcha at bubblenet.be> wrote:

> daniel wrote:
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Here are my results on FireFox 3 beta2 with firebug 1.1b10:
> >

> > Console in debug:
> > http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9189/firefox3b2firebug11b10djd7.jpg
> > <http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9189/firefox3b2firebug11b10djd7.jpg>
> >
> > Notice the two errors in the console.
>
> I am surprised, I do not see those errors on my machine.
>
> Which FF version do you use ?

*firefox 3 beta2 for the screenshots with the errors. They don't appear in
other versions.*

> > Loadtimes in devel:
> > http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6781/firefox3b2firebug11b10dgg2.jpg
> > <http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6781/firefox3b2firebug11b10dgg2.jpg>
> >
> > Loadtimes in production:
> > http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8510/firefox3b2firebug11b10pcz0.jpg
> >

> > Notice the big problem seems to be base2-dom-fp.js which takes over half
> > a second to load. How many of these files are required?
> > I'm not sure why it took 88ms to load a 4k static CSS file either. Or
> > 65ms for the 80byte file.
> > These numbers represent with everything cached they varied between 1.1
> > and 1.4 seconds for the page load.
>
> I have no idea why JS or CSS is so slow. Obviously, KSS is not playing
> any role for serving resources.
>
> Has someone an idea why serving resources is slow ?
>
> > Maybe I'm being too picky and 1.4 second load times are acceptable fully
> > cached and local?
>
> Well, for a first page load, 1.4 second could be ok, but it should
> definitely go to sthing shorter for the nest pages.
>
> > My second Grok app has no CSS or JS and loads in 18ms.
> >
> > Then I tried to reload after clearing my browser's cache with
> > ctr-shift-del and i get 13 second load times!
> >
> > http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9441/firefox3b2firebug11b10dgm1.jpg
> >
> > This was easily reproducible. kukit.js is the culprit every time and
> > takes 12 seconds to get passed to the browser.
>
> This is what I was referring and that needs to be fixed. I think the
> cache headers are not setup correctly in production mode.
>
> > Also obviously nothing is rendered while this occurs
>
> I think this is known problem : when browsers wait for js code, they do
> not render AFAIK.
>
>  > and it did not matter if KSS was in devel or production.
>
> I do not understand what you say here : do you mean that this 12 secs
> delay happens at *each* page load even in dev mode ?
>
> In dev mode, we cache kukit.js in memory in the server : IOW , the first
> time kukit.js is requested after server restart, it will be long.
> However, the latter request should be very quick.
>
> Can you give more details ?

*the 12 second delay happens not because of a server restart, but because I
cleared my browser's cache. It only happens once, the first time after a
browser cache clear. It occurs whether KSS was in production or devel mode.*
*The subsequent page loads only take 1.4 seconds unless I clear the browser
cache again.*

--

-- Daniel