[Grok-dev] Grok and permissions

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sun Jan 13 06:33:48 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 7:56 AM, Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se> wrote:
> I think the example looks great!!! However, I would find easier to
> follow if each class and method had a text explaining what goes on and
> pointing out what (not obvious) design choices you made. You are
> showing lots of great techniques that are useful.

Thanks, Sebastian. I will add more docstrings and comments to the code.

> What happened to the annotations? Did you remove them for the time
> being?

No I didn't. Why do you ask?

But I last night I started work on a simpler version of the LoginDemo
which will not use annotations; user accounts will be stored in plain,
unnatotated InternalPrincipals. That will cut a few dozen lines of
code and make it more focused. However, the fact that adding just a
little email field to a user is so complicated shows one weakness of
the current Zope API.

> I am not sure that this is too difficult. Basically, you have create a
> template/recipe that a newbie can use to get up to speed with user
> management. I think that is a good solution because it doesn't hide
> the power, but makes it accesible.

I agree that new examples/recipes are always good. But I still think
this user facilities should be easier to use in Grok. Leo and I will
work on a proposal to improve that this next week.

> Also, I didn't get where you defined the permission
> "grok.require('logindemo.ViewMemberListing')", or is that unnecessary?

That permission is defined in the first page of app.py, like this:

class ViewMemberListing(grok.Permission):
    grok.name('logindemo.ViewMemberListing')

The permission is assigned to new users in the join method of the Join
view (app.py).

Best regards,

Luciano