[Grok-dev] Web site ready for relaunch?

daniel daniel.carraher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:32:19 EST 2008

Hey kev,
I'd like to make a suggestion that I think would help the clarity of the
frontpage.
First I'd like to say that the new website is really nice and a big
improvement.
This isn't a finished product but it's a good concept of what I think a
clear first impression should be.

http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php?id=775451&file=grokplonesitelayout.tar.bz2

if you untar this file I have two versions, the current version has the
normal name, my version with the different layout has the v1 in front of the
name.
You should notice several changes:

1. the big yellow verbs box is gone. It's for the best as it distracts,
confuses the site layout and takes up space which should be used by the
'What is grok' info below it. It's also a replication of the navigator.

2. I've used the artwork and moved them into the navigator, they're now
gray. When you mouse over them they should light up. Now the important
sections in the navigator are larger and more prominent.

3. I cut out the box with the RSS feed of the news. It seemed a bit
cluttered to me and there should really only be one link to the news. At one
point the three news items in there were almost identical and it just seemed
confusing to new users. I actually forgot to put a link to NEWS in the
navigator but that's where I would put it.

4. There's a favicon in there somewhere but it wasn't working for me. It's
just a shrunken version of the logo.gif.

Obviously the navigator needs to be beautified a bit, especially the text.
But if one of you guys wants to pick it up and try it go for it, it's just a
suggestion.

-- Daniel