[Grok-dev] Martian as an external in the Grok trunk

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:27:32 EST 2008

Hi,

Another thing I found is that martian now is an external in the Grok
trunk. I wonder about that. Altough it might feel convenient at first
I'm afraid it will trips us up when releasing Grok.

Actually, having this external is I think the reason why Grok itself can
safely "require" martian-0.9.3 at this moment (because it will just use
the external as an develop-egg), but projects that are currently
depending on Grok-trunk will be broken as they cannot find the required
martian version.

My suggestion would be to:

1) remove the external to martian

2) introduce a dev.cfg.in file that extends from buildout.cfg. When
you're developing *on* Grok, you'd copy dev.cfg.in to dev.cfg, and set
the correct paths to the develop-eggs of e.g. martian when needed.

I think this will force in making very conscious decissions about what
version of Grok depend on (in this case) what versions of martian.

kind regards,
jw