[Grok-dev] Re: license for docs

daniel daniel.carraher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 11:06:36 EST 2008

Giving the authors of documentation a choice of licensing is a pretty good
incentive to contribute. I'm not sure what the reason is to force new
contributions under a ZPL software license or even a GFD license.

I think creative commons is a great idea since they specialize in all types
of documents and range from very permissive to non-commercial share-alike.
Creative commons licenses as well as being for documents proper are also
easy to select <http://creativecommons.org/license/> and comprehend because
they typically include an easy to understand non-legal-jargon
description<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/>with
links to the legal
code <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/legalcode>.
Another possible benefit is that Creative Commons licenses can be customized
by country easily while being selected. You can choose a USA version or a
Brazil version or any other of their many options.

On Jan 26, 2008 7:49 PM, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [snip]
> > Would the Content Licensing add-on allow an easy way for people to set
> > the desired license for the content? Or alternatively, any standard way
> > to include license info in a text using ReST?
>
> For ReST a simple 'meta-tag' should do::
>
>        ===================
>        How To Smash Things
>
>        :Author: Grok
>
>        :License: ZPL 2.1
>
> This could be handled special by the site in terms of layout/rendering
> and in terms of site policy.
>
> [snip]
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --