[Grok-dev] Re: error_log?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 3 15:03:38 EDT 2008

Hey,

There are a number of things wrong with the current error log situation
and Grok.

We got to show this information in the Grok UI.

The Grok UI will, as Uli and I discussed it, hopefully eventually evolve
besides the settings per instance also a "settings per application"
screen, which should show information about relevant local utilities (at
least the ones that register a UI with Grok). The error log should be
one of them. I think the per application UI should have the ability to
install new local utilities if local utilities declare themselves as
installable through the UI. I want to stay away from overly general
ZMI-like stuff while still having the option of good configuration
screens for general stuff that you can install with Grok. (other
candidates for per-app configuration UIs are the default user management
screens and megrok.rdb connection settings).

For the time being however I think it makes sense to add the global
error log to the Grok UI. Application specific error logs are a nice
optional feature, but we don't really need it to get errors.

The default error log that is installed when you install grok has the
'copy exceptions to the event log' option turned off. We should consider
turning this on by default.

Who wants to make launchpad issues, and who wants to do the
implementation? Let's do the easy steps first: a global UI bit that
shows the error log somewhere, and I think turning the exceptions on in
the event log.