[Grok-dev] Re: New grokproject release?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri Jul 11 18:14:53 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen, on 2008-07-11:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> I would very much like to see a new grokproject release soonish. I'd be
>> happy to make the release, I'm just wondering whether there's anything
>> left to be done. As far as I can tell, it's just the version pinning
>> that was on Martijn's list. If we pinned the recipes and zc.buildout
>> itself, would that be ok for now? We could always pin PasteScript,
>> grokproject's own dependency, in a later release, once we've figured out
>> how ;)

I just pinned zc.buildout and the used recipes in the generated
versions.cfg.

I was worried about pinning zc.buildout there as in the past I have
seen this resulting in a conflict error when bin/buildout was using a
different version than the one pinned in versions.cfg.  But I tried
reproducing that now with a generated project and failed.  So that is
good.

Only setuptools is not pinned now in a fresh project:

$ bin/buildout -Novvvvv |sed -ne 's/^Picked: //p' | sort | uniq
setuptools = 0.6c8

When I add that to versions.cfg but with a *previous* version number,
that will result in a conflict error:

$ bin/buildout
Develop: '/home/maurits/svn/grokproject/foo/.'
While:
  Installing.
  Getting section i18n.
  Initializing section i18n.
  Installing recipe lovely.recipe.

An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:

VersionConflict:
(setuptools 0.6c8 (/home/maurits/buildout-eggs/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.4.egg), Requirement.parse('setuptools==0.6c7'))

When you do "bin/buildout -n" this conflict goes away though as
bin/buildout is updated to that version 7.

So this can be solved by the user himself, but a casual user will just
run bin/buildout, see the conflict error and possibly give up, which
is what we want to avoid.  So pinning of setuptools should not be
done.  But that may have been the conclusion already earlier.

> So.... how about a new grokproject release over the weekend? If there
> are no objections, I'd do one tomorrow...

All systems go!

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/