[Grok-dev] Flint needs a new champion

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Mon Jul 14 16:53:31 EDT 2008

A few of you already know that I had a heart attack in early May. A
few days earlier I was honored to get one of the Zope Foundation slots
in Google Summer of Code. I don't think the two events were related.

My mission was to create Flint [1] using Grok.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/flint-cms/

I am very well now, thanks for wondering. But I was forced to make
some choices, and one of saddest was to drop out of Google Summer of
Code this year. My productivity was reduced for a while, and I needed
to focus on school and other tasks so I was unable code Flint.

I did have some excellent discussions with Leonardo Rochael, who was
my mentor, and I believe we have sketched what can be a wonderful
little CMS, and a very useful Grok sample application to boot. The
design documents we wrote can be found from the URL above.

I believe Grok *needs* a simple, straight-forward yet flexible CMS to
showcase it's agility and the power of the underlying Zope Component
Architecture and the many Zope components that already exist, most of
which were designed for CMS applications after all.

I've also come to realize that I am not the best person to lead the
Flint project at this time, so if anyone wishes to step up to the
task, I would be glad to spend sometime discussing our ideas, through
e-mail, IRC or even Skype. I bet Leo would be willing to do that as
well.

Thanks Martijn, Aroldo, Uli, Leonardo and Leslie Hawthorn for the
solidarity and support you've given me through these difficult times.
I wish all the mentors and students collaborating with Zope all the
best. And thanks to everyone else who is making Grok: you are a
wonderful community.

Cheers,

Luciano