[Grok-dev] Re: grokproject upgrade weirdness

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jul 19 08:43:09 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
> I think your problem is that you were saying
> "easy_install -U grokproject" while the current directory contained an
> old trunk checkout of grokproject.

Yes, I think that's it. :( Thanks! I keep making that same mistake.

Did I mention that easy_install is just *way* too magic?

We need a python-egg tool that:

* installs from PyPI only (or whatever index page is provided)

* doesn't try to follow links and parse HTML and download things there.
Just downloads from PyPI.

Of course introducing it will be difficult, as easy_install is easier
and will install more. But its magic behavior is just a major pain in
the behind. If we'd have python-egg from the beginning it would've
encouraged people to upload their eggs to PyPI too, instead of having to
deal with the "oh wait this site that actually hosts the tarball is
currently down" chaos of today.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now I'm afraid.