[Grok-dev] Suggestions or advice for how to debug a grok app using PyDev?

Craeg Strong cstrong at arielpartners.com
Sun Jun 1 22:05:27 EDT 2008

After unsuccessfully trying both Eric4 and SPE, I finally settled on
Eclipse + PyDev as a debugging environment/IDE for Grok.

I created a PyDEV project and used pb.recipes.pydev to add eggs to the
external PYTHONPATH

Unfortunately, it only added some of the eggs in buildout-eggs, not all
of them, so I ended up adding the rest by hand anyway.

It was relatively straightforward to get my project set up so I could
run the debugger on a unit test in app_tests/

However, I am stumped trying to actually debug a running zope3 instance
in PyDev.  I thought of several possible angles of attack:

- create a gigantic "super project" containing all the buildout eggs
plus my project and put everything in the project path, and debug
directly from zope.app.twisted.main
- put all the buildout eggs in one external project and make my project
depend on it
- make a separate pydev project for each buildout egg
- any one of the above, but rather than start zope within the debugger,
just run it from an external script and attach the debugger to the
running instance

I am running on MacOS 10.5.3, if it makes a difference.

Does anyone have any war stories to share getting this to work?

Many thanks!

--Craeg