[Grok-dev] grokdeploy tool idea

Tim Terlegård tim.terlegard at valentinewebsystems.se
Wed Jun 4 09:04:27 EDT 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Christian Theune wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 02:36:58PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> So, let's imagine a tool called 'grokdeploy'. grokdeploy can take a
>> grok
>> project and deploy it to a WSGI compliant server. It does this by
>> baking
>> an egg from the current project, and transfers it along with some
>> config
>> files (buildout.cfg? paste config files?) to a WSGI compliant server,
>> and installs it into that server. It is driven by either commandline
>> arguments or some config file. The grokdeploy config file could be
>> placed in the current directory, along the lines of, along the
>> lines of  buildout.cfg, and found automatically.
>>
>> Ideas? Comments? Volunteers to implement all this?
>
> I'm kind of volunteering, as gocept is investigating something along
> these
> lines for our upcoming Zope hosting service and we'd be happy to
> incorporate
> tools like that (and help writing them).
>
> Obviously the specifics are sketched out very well already and we
> only need to
> implement the 'baking egg' and 'Uploading to' parts. ;)

I guess there are two ways to solve it, either the client uploads to
server or
the server downloads from a specified location.

Doing it the second way the deployment would involve svn co/up on the
server
and the usual buildout dance. This web service seems simple to
implement,
but the drawback is that there has to be a repository of some kind,
but probably
you want it anyway. I guess the deployment web service could
automatically
provide an svn repository for the user to commit to. After the user
commits he
or she can run bin/grokdeploy.

Maybe there already are deployment systems out there already? There is
http://blog.innerewut.de/webistrano/ but I didn't dig into it too much.

/Tim