[Grok-dev] Re: Another idea for promoting Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jun 5 11:22:12 EDT 2008

Kamon Ayeva wrote:
[snip]

Yes, it's a chicken and egg problem. There are a number of places where
it needs to be tackled: on the internet, at international events, and,
as you point out, locally.

On the net: As an example, my blog gets picked up by planet.python.org,
planetpython.org, planet.zope.org and planet.plone.org, so if I write
about Grok I know I'm getting a bit of an audience about it. Just
mentioning it regularly keeps it in people's minds. The more this
happens in blogs, the better, of course - ideally we get a few more
widely read bloggers in your community, but if you already have a blog
there are some simple things you can do. Obviously you can talk more
about Grok, but what you can also do is make sure your blog gets picked
up by a wider range of feeds. If someone sees a diverse group blogging
about Grok, they will get a good impression about the reach and activity
of the Grok community.

At conferences: another more "broad" approach is to talk about Grok at
EuroPython (last year, and hopefully again this year, I submitted a
talk). A lightning talk about something Grok related at EuroPython is
also a good idea - you get a really wide audience at the conference that
way, so I hope we'll get some people to do it. We need better
representation about Grok at Plone conferences too, however. I think the
Plone conference in Italy and the Plone seminar going on right now
presented opportunities that we could've exploited better. I wasn't
there though, so I can't complain too much. :)

Now on to your point:

> What do you think about more regular meetings where some volunteer could
> present Grok to the others, like what Peter did at the London Python
> meeting.

> I think it should be centered around Grok (and let say you will have 2
> or 3 presentations of 30-mn each). More importantly, this would happen
> in countries (with the help of a Python User Group or a local Zope
> company). The point really is getting Grok to people (local presence)
> instead of having the people meet Grok developers and promoters only
> once a year if they get the chance to go to a Zope or Python event.
>
> In my case, I can look at an opportunity to have such a session in
> Paris, lead it and communicate about it. If this could happen in a
> bi-monthly base and spread all around the world, it would make us more
> visible as a community. More, it would make us approachable.

> What do you think ? Of course, we can also have sessions where you have
> a mix of Django or Pylons presentations with Grok, so that the attender
> can compare ! What is imporant is to make Grok visible.

I think this is an excellent idea. Giving people the feeling that there
are people locally that use Grok should help quite a bit to gain wider
attention and thus hopefully adoption, I think.

It's a good point in the evolution of Grok too. I think technology-wise
Grok can compete with anything else in the Python world at this point;
since we're building on top of Zope 3 we're probably starting to pull
ahead in some areas already. That doesn't mean we should stop improving
Grok (or its documentation!); there's still a huge amount of stuff to
do, but we should recognize we're actually doing quite well.

I haven't paid enough of attention to local events here, but that's a
mistake, I think. Accidentally almost we've had a semi-local event here
due to the Grokkerdam sprint, and I did talk about Grok in its very
early days in late '06 at a Dutch python user group (PUN) meeting.

You mention a bi-monthly base. Do you propose people organize such a
thing in their local user groups every two months? In many places
(including the Netherlands), we're lucky if we get python user group
meeting twice a year. :)

This might be a good way to drive up the frequency, though. I'll kick
off the organization of another PUN meeting.

By the way, if local users groups want to invite me to give a talk and
they'll help a little with the costs of travel and such, I'd be happy to
come over and give a talk. (If you want to do more, we can talk about
organizing a training session, too.)