[Grok-dev] Simplifying the documentation page

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Thu Jun 5 20:05:06 EDT 2008

Good work on the improvements!

Kamon Ayeva-3 wrote:

>> * Expand the Tutorials and how-tos so you don't have to click it to
>> see what they all are.
>>

> Ok, I think that means overriding the search results template. If that is
> useful for any search results, then this is just something to do
> independently of the documentation/helpcenter.

I would create a custom search view for the documentation section. This
way Documentation-specific search result can show fields specific to
documentation such as Grok Version, Audience and Version. The phc_stats view
in the PloneHelpCenter product implements something similar to this
(http://grok.zope.org/documentation/stats).

A tweak we should do for the documentation section is re-enable
display of Creators/Contributors. I took out the default 'big head'
Creators/Contributors
in the HowTo and Tutorial Views when creating the site since it was looking
gangly and out-of-place in the layout, but we should display this
information
at the top or bottom of a docuemntation page view. Bonus points if you can
click on someones name in the docs section and see all content they have
contributed to :)

You can provide RSS feeds in Plone 3 by creating a Collection with the
desired criteria. I've created a 'feeds' Folder at the top-level of the
web site (with the 'Exclude from Navigation' turned on) that provides a
feed for everything within /documentation/:

http://grok.zope.org/feeds/community-documentation/RSS

(maybe we still want to tweak this criteria a bit more)

FYI, we also have a feed that tracks changes to all content on the site:

feed://grok.zope.org/all-content-updates/RSS

Using Collections for feeds is better than using a generic Search RSS feed
because:

 * You can update the structure of the web site, and update the Collections
   to reflect the new strucutre. Existing feeds will still work as intended,
   while generic Search RSS feeds will no longer work as expected.

 * Shorter, prettier URLs :)